Cassandra Clare, Lady Midnight Review


Lady Midnight is the first book in the new series by Cassandra Clare, The Dark Artifices.
This is my most anticipated book of the year and when I read it I was definitely not let down.

Lady Midnight is the 12th book to take place in the Shadowhunter world. 
Its however got a spotlight of its own. 
The new cast of characters, location and plot gives the Shadowhunter world a new refreshing feel. Even though readers of this series have read lot from this world. Readers were introduced to so many new things in this book.

Lady Midnight takes place about five years after the war that happened in City of Heavenly Fire (The Dark War). 
The book takes place in the Los Angeles Institute, Where the Blackthorn family lives. 
Julian being the oldest, has to look after his siblings and he has since he was twelve.
He is Parabatai with Emma Carstairs. 

With out spoiling anything else of this book thats all I can say, 
Honestly its better to go in blind reading this book. So get of this post and read this book if you haven't already. (Only if you have read the other Shadowhunter books though)

However I can say my opinion of the book.

This was my most anticipated book of the whole year!
I was so happy when I finally got my hands on this book!
And I'm really upset to say this blog post is three months late. 

This book was amazing. Clare's writing just gets better and better. Her world that she has created just gets deeper and more twisted. Its great. Everything a reader could want. This is the 12th Shadowhunter Chronicle book and I'm still not tired of this world because when Clare writes, so much is going on theres not a boring moment. 

This book had so many plot twists and turns it always kept me on my toes and turning pages.
Where City of Bones took long to set the stage for the Shadow-world, Lady Midnight threw you straight into the plot and storyline of the characters. The book was about the same length of City of Heavenly Fire, Making it about 700 pages. However it was definitely worth my time. I would re-read it again. Once again Clare never gives a dull moment. She keeps moments of the old characters dripped in through the story but doesn't make it, so its over-powering the new cast who we are growing to learn and love. I love the Blackthorns, theres so many of them. Even though, they are each really different and love-able. Clare keeps the action and thrill. However giving us new things about the Shadowhunter world and culture. She adds new characters from different races and characters with different sexualities, she keeps her characters diverse. I love that aspect about her books.

With out saying much of the plot and giving much away thats all I can say.
Honest opinion, If you want the best experience of this book, ignore the Goodreads reviews and just go in blind. 
(If it also helps, I didn't read Tales from a Shadowhunter Academy before this book either, some people say its better, My friend and I both didn't. If you don't have the ebook copy of Tales from a Shadowhunter Academy, don't stress about it. Cassandra does explain things very well. She also recaps quite well the previous book and the Dark War.) 

This book really was breath taking to read.

So I give Lady Midnight 5/5 Stars.

- Courtney (Purple_Book_Readers)









No comments:

Post a Comment